Happy Easter folks! I for one am loving this four day weekend malarkey- seeing family and friends, going for walks in the new Spring sunshine (about time) and baking lots of Easter treats! I actually started baking Easter treats in the form of Mini Egg Cookies last week for my work bake off and as they went down so well I wanted to share the recipe with you. I based my baking on this recipe from a lovely little food blog, but made a few tweaks to make it easier and more fool proof. So if you want to make quick, easy, chewy and utterly delicious Easter goodies to have with a cup of tea tomorrow just follow the below:
Makes 21 medium cookies
1 cup non-salted butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
½ cup white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 90g bags of Cadbury Mini Eggs
1. Preheat oven to 190°/Gas Mark 5.
2. Cream together the butter, brown sugar and white sugar in a bowl.
3. Add eggs and vanilla and beat with a wooden spoon until with smooth(ish).
4. Add flour (sieved), baking powder and salt, then beat again until all of the ingredients are combined.
5. Seal the Mini Eggs into a plastic bag and crush them into bits and pieces using a rolling pin.
6. Put aside some of the bigger crushed egg pieces to use later and mix the rest of them into the cookie batter.
7. Using a teaspoon, roll into rough one inch balls and place onto a baking tray topped with ungreased baking paper. They seriously spread out so I'd recommend 9 balls max per tray and lots of space between.
8. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and push the saved larger egg pieces into the top of the cookies
10. Using a spatula, place the cookies on another sheet of baking paper to set and cool.
And enjoy! What have you been baking this Easter?